Sunday, July 14, 2013

I'M BACK!

Alright!

It has been far too long since I blogged or really went running.  I am ashamed of my progress in the past, but for the last two months I have been regularly pounding the pavement, and I even ran in my first race!  More on that will follow, but I just wanted to say that I am back and ready to get rolling!

Things have been going well for me in my running life.  I completed in the Canada Day Race here in Edmonton, I have been running several times a week for the last few months, and I have never felt better!  It really is true when they say that running can change your life and give you new health...I am the perfect example...here's why:

Last summer I went with my family (wife and girls) on a short hike with some friends.  It wasn't too bad, a couple of kilometers.  It was to a lake in Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park (or just Waterton Park to those of us north of the border).  The hike in was alright, but coming out, I thought I was going to DIE!  I was breathing hard, sweating like mad, and it just wasn't good.  This struck something in me and I was really bothered by it.  I thought to myself "Luke, how can you be out of breath on this little 4km loop when you used to go backpacking up mountains, and do 20+ km day hikes for fun!  You've gotten fat and out of shape!"  I really did say this to myself. 

So on September 10th (2012) I took to the pavement.  I dusted off my 'new' shoes that I had bought a few months before for running and did 2.8km in just over 23 minutes doing intervals of 2 minutes running and 1 walking.  I was proud to do this and was determined to turn over a new leaf!  The only problem was that leaf got lost in the wind and I didn't go out again until May 2013!

Since then I have been out MANY times and have grown to love running more, each time I go out.

In fact, I love it so much I am now fully geared with proper footwear, clothes, and expecting a Suunto Quest in the mail this week.

I'll be in touch, with more on my history, because It is an interesting quest to how I came to love something I absolutely hated only months ago!

~Until then

No comments:

Post a Comment