Saturday, August 10, 2013

Recovery Time!

In my, thus far, short running life I have focused a lot on listening to my body and not going crazy when exerting myself.

Today is my first day back on the road.  About three weeks ago I came down with something and so I took a few days off.  It was hitting about a week off when I decided to go for another run.  I wasn't feeling the best, and it would have been much better if I had just stayed home.  I didn't listen to my body and I got taken out for another two weeks!

Tonight was my first night back, and although my run was labelled as 'Very Hard' by Suunto, I was under-performing compared to my usual level.  I was sweating like mad, but I had to get back on track.  I guess I should also mention that it was the first time doing 8:1 intervals too! (yeah I know...that would have had something to do with it)

Anyway, I know this isn't a major setback, but it is very important to listen to your body when running.  If it feels like you are going too fast/hard, you most likely are.  ALSO if you have to take a week or two off due to illness or injury, it is MUCH better to do that then to kill yourself off and put yourself in a worse position.

So don't do what I did, listen to your body always!  Running should be enjoyable! :D

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment